Monday, September 23, 2013

Author Interview with Keeley Smith

Returned and Before Banner 450 x 169

Today on the blog we have Keeley Smith for an interview. Thank you for being here Keeley.

Where are you from?

I’m from the UK, a small part in West Yorkshire.

When and why did you begin writing?

I can’t remember not writing to be honest but I really pushed it more in my teens. I wrote because I loved the escape, what you could do to worlds you made up, it fascinated me J

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I still don’t. How strange is that? I write and see it as a hobby... I would love to do it full time though.

What inspired you to write your first book?

I was coming out of the Harry Potter craze and I ended up in a funk so I decided to write my own witch series J

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

That things are worth fighting for. Life is for living and you have to live it to the best of your ability because you never know what is around the corner. Although in Cora’s world they are slightly stranger circumstances but the message remains the same.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Not in the Pendle Hill series but in the Soul Keeper series the book have lots of real life experiences, the main characters are based on my brothers and my sister.

What books have most influenced your life most?

I couldn’t say. I read lots of books and they all influence me in some way.

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

Nora Roberts. I adore her books, her writing, her character development, she is the writer who inspires me.

What book are you reading now?

At the moment of writing this, I’m reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Trying again anyway. I read a year ago but hated the ending and it put me off reading the rest. I’m giving it another go J

What are your current projects?

I’m writing the last Pendle Hill book and also continuing with the Soul Keeper series. I have many more things in the pipeline J

Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I find the first draft the most challenging. Once the bare bones is done, I find it flows a little easier.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Nora Roberts. I think she has the amazing ability to create a character and a world that sucks you in and doesn’t ever let you go. She is the master in my opinion J

Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?

I wish. I would love to travel! I keep my fingers crossed that I will eventually travel and sign my books J

Who designed the covers?

Two amazing ladies, Phatpuppy Art design and the Font Diva. I love my covers!

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

That you could continue to change your books when they are finished, sometimes it is about letting them go.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Write, write and write J

No comments:

Post a Comment